This program provides a unique “girls-only” format for puberty education. This puberty program, tailored to students with special needs, focuses on the physical and emotional changes that are a part of growing up. The program addresses personal care and hygiene skills related to puberty, such as menstruation.
It teaches students to identify appropriate adults with whom they might discuss these issues, how to distinguish between appropriate public and private behavior and safe and unsafe touch.
1. Recognize physical and emotional changes
2. Demonstrate related personal care and hygiene skills
3. Determine appropriate adults with whom they might discuss changes
4. Develop awareness of appropriate public v. private behavior.
5. Understand what safe touch is and what unsafe touch is not.
ISBE Health Standards 23.C.2a, 23.C.2b
ISBE Social Emotional Learning Standards: 1A.2a
National Sexuality Education Standards: AP.5.CC.1, AP.5.A1.1, PD.5.CC.1, PD.5.INF.1, PD.5.SM.1, PD.5.CC.2, PD.5.A1.2
* Meets IL school code section 105ILC 110/3