PEP Talk: Parent Education Program
Body Image and Sexual Bullying
A 12 year old girl comes home from school, upset because her friend was called an unflattering and hurtful name in front of a group of people. Her mom stops what she is doing to invite her daughter to open up and express her feelings about this situation. Mom is able to help her daughter understand the exchange more clearly and convey her own feelings about sexual bullying and body image to her daughter. This is an important moment for the mom and daughter to connect and create opportunities for future discussions about these topics.
- Body Image and Sexual Bullying Framework Outline: This outline shows how this vignette fits into a healthy conversation framework.
- Body Image and Sexual Bullying Conversation Starters/Scenarios: “Conversation starters” are actual phrases you can use to introduce the topic of body image and sexual bullying. “Scenarios” represent situations that may arise and offer opportunities to open a dialogue with your kids.
- Developmental Sex Education Table: See a child’s sexuality development from birth through the teen years in order to tailor your conversations to your child’s needs.
- Basic Healthy Conversations Framework: Here are some helpful steps for healthy and meaningful conversations.
- 10 Tips for Good Communication
How Not To Talk To Your Kids:
This video uses humor to demonstrate an ineffective approach to discussing body image and sexual bullying.