PEP Talk: Parent Education Program
Sexual Behavior-Choices and Risks
A family is sitting down at the dinner table when a news story about pregnancy on the television catches everyone’s attention. This prompts the 14 year old son to ask his family about some questionable behavior of a classmate at school, which opens up the discussion about teen responsibility, teen choices/pressures, and teen pregnancy. Mom and Dad are both there, along with the 12 year old sister, so it is an important opportunity for all of the family members to be a part of this discussion of their family’s thoughts about these vital topics. This conversation lays the groundwork for trust and communication within the family unit, as well as creating a venue for further discussions down the road.
- Sexual Behavior: Choices and Risks Framework Outline: This outline shows how this vignette fits into a healthy conversation framework.
- Sexual Behavior: Choices and Risks Conversation Starters/Scenarios: “Conversation starters” are actual phrases you can use to introduce the topic of sexual behavior. “Scenarios” represent situations that may arise and offer opportunities to open a dialogue with your kids.
- Developmental Sex Education Table: See a child’s sexuality development from birth through the teen years in order to tailor your conversations to your child’s needs.
- Basic Healthy Conversations Framework: Here are some helpful steps for healthy and meaningful conversations.
- 10 Tips for Good Communication
How to Have a Conversation About Sexual Behavior:
Choices and Risks
How Not To Talk To Your Kids:
This video uses humor to demonstrate an ineffective approach to discussing sexual behavior, choices and risks.